100 things you must do in Orlando before you die
A list of things everyone who lives in Orlando should do at least once
Published: December 4, 2013
13. Visit Woodlands (6040 S. Orange Blossom Trail, woodlandsusa.com) for a vegetarian lunchtime buffet of delectable Indian dishes (only available Tuesday through Friday).
14. Anzac biscuits were originally baked to be sent off in care packages for Australian soldiers. But you can indulge in their extra-crispy deliciousness at Drunken Monkey (444 N. Bumby Ave., drunkenmonkeycoffee.com) in relative safety. We don’t want to start a war, but it might just be the greatest cookie in town.
15. Get downtown Orlando street magician Richard the Adequate to perform a magic trick for you before you stumble home from the bars.
16. Catch a Blue Man Group show (CityWalk at Universal Orlando, blueman.com/universal-orlando) and a Cirque du Soleil La Nouba (Walt Disney World Resort, cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/lanouba) performance. Some people travel to places like New York or Las Vegas (or Orlando) to catch these kinds of shows – we have them right in our own backyard, all year round.
17. Gawk at the show dogs strutting their stuff at the AKC Eukanuba National Championship at the Orange County Convention Center (Dec. 14-15, akc.org/nationalchampionship)
18. Ride an airboat at Black Hammock Adventures (2356 Black Hammock Fish Camp Road, Oviedo, theblackhammock.com). Riding airboats and gawking at gators is a quintessentially Central Floridian activity, and Black Hammock, located on gator-choked Lake Jesup, is the spot to do it.
19. Create a custom necklace at Dear Prudence Shop (2912 Corrine Drive, facebook.com/dearprudenceshoporlando), using beads you won’t find anywhere else. Pair it with a dress from their collection.
20. Bicycle down the West Orange Trail. You can even rent bikes at West Orange Trail Bikes and Blades at Mile Marker 0 on the trail. (17914 State Road 438, Winter Garden, orlandobikerental.com)
21. Cosplay at Megacon (like a boss). Are you nerd enough to slap on some armor and strut your stuff on the show floor? Thought so. Best part is, so is everybody else at the con – just watch out for magic missiles. (March 21-23, 2014, megaconvention.com)
22. Pet a tarantula at Jungle Adventures (26205 E. Colonial Drive, Christmas, jungleadventures.com) – and a scorpion, and a baby gator, and a big slithery snake. After the weirdly exhilarating hands-on experience, take a walk through the grounds of the erstwhile gator farm and coo and point at everything from a secretary bird to a ringtail lemur to a cage full of Florida panthers.
23. Have a pulled pork sandwich (smoked on the premises over natural wood and dressed with homemade BBQ sauce) out on the patio at Yellow Dog Eats (1236 Hempel Ave., Windermere, yellowdogeats.com).
24. Drink a beer you’ve never had before at Redlight Redlight Beer Parlour (2810 Corrine Drive, redlightredlightbeerparlour.com) – ask a bartender to recommend one or just close your eyes and point.
> Email Staff