100 things you must do in Orlando before you die
A list of things everyone who lives in Orlando should do at least once
Published: December 4, 2013
1. Chug das boot full of beer at Hollerbach’s Willow Tree Café (205 E. First St., Sanford, willowtreecafe.com) while the crowd chants, German beer hall-style, “Tiki-toki, tiki toki … hoy! hoy! hoy!”
2. Ride the Incredible Hulk Coaster at Universal Orlando’s Islands of Adventure (universalorlando.com).
3. Find a new favorite record at Rock and Roll Heaven (1814 N. Orange Ave., rock-n-rollheaven.com).
4. Keep your radio tuned to WPRK 91.5 FM, “the best in basement radio,” for a week straight.
5. Wrestle a gator at Gatorland (14501 S. Orange Blossom Trail, gatorland.com) – it’s much safer than it sounds.
6. Wear lingerie to CityWalk at Universal Orlando for a Rich Weirdoes performance of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Just make sure you wear a trench coat or something non-revealing as you move through the entrance checkpoint. (every second and fourth Friday and Saturday of the month, AMC Universal Cineplex 20, 6000 Universal Blvd., richweirdoes.com).
7. Take the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour (312 E. Morse Blvd., Winter Park, scenicboattours.com), which takes you through an amazing series of lush, narrow canals that connect the Winter Park Chain of Lakes.
8. See a show at the Timucua Arts White House (2000 S. Summerlin Ave., timucua.com). This unique music venue is actually the living room of local musician Benoit Glazer and his family, but don’t by shy – they’ve transformed it into an acoustically pleasing venue with seating for up to 150. Most shows are free, but bring a bottle of wine to share. A pittance for such a gorgeous experience.
9. Get your smoochy face on the Orlando Magic kiss cam, or if you’re more inventive, create a scene in the stands big enough to get on the televised broadcast.
10. Build a robot made of random items you can buy at the looks-like-a-mad-scientist’s-laboratory-just-exploded electronics surplus shop, Skycraft Surplus (2245 W. Fairbanks Ave., Winter Park, skycraftsurplus.com).
11. While the Cuban sandwiches are among the best in town and their eponymous soups are off the chain, it’s the avocado salad dressing at Black Bean Deli (various locations, blackbeandeli.com) that’s really worth savoring.
12. See as many movies as you can at the Florida Film Festival, more than two decades old and still going strong. (April 4-13, 2014, Enzian Theater, 1300 S. Orlando Ave., Maitland, floridafilmfestival.com)
> Email Staff