Internet rapper Kitty (formerly Pryde) rides out the Tumblr wave
Published: March 27, 2013
Instead, Kitty relies on Twitter for music discovery. She says she “does a lot of Twittering,” which is obvious just from glancing at her account, @kittaveli. She updates all day every day, from humblebrags like “I only hang out with people who make great music. Not on purpose, it just works out that way” to delightful self-deprecation like “I bet NoiseyMusic would pay so much 4 the video of me falling off treadmill/screaming over loud deadmau5 for my brother to save me just now.” Like her music or not, it seems apparent that despite how timid she is at embracing both her mainstream popularity and counterculture origins, social media has always empowered her to unabashedly be herself.
“With shows and stuff, even if everyone there seems so excited, I’m still nervous, and I still really dread it,” Kitty says. “I think it’s cuz everything is so personal where I’m kind of going on stage and telling a bunch of strangers my secrets. So it’s always really, really weird. It feels weird afterwards. Even if it makes people happy, I’m just like, ‘Dammit, now they know everything.’”
Kitty’s new EP, D.A.I.S.Y. Rage, reflects a grittier world that is intentionally unimpressed by crushes, and it’s some surprisingly somber shit. Check out these dark moments, track by track, that illustrate how stark girlishness can be.
1. “UNfollowed” I only start shit when I get Bacardi and I’m brave / I heartily forgave you for lying but I’m pretty sure I’m dying / And my room is like a grave.
2. “DEAD ISLAND” I love N.Y. cuz there’s so many bridges to jump off.
3. “Aw Shawty 3.0” I should be less creepy and less easy-sounding / Please can you freeze me up zero degrees freak me.
4. “$krillionaire” I hope your toast lands where it’s buttery / I hope you stub all of the ruddy toes on your muddy feet / I hope you do a lot of coke, end up with bloody teeth.
5. “NO OFFENSE!!!!” You differ like the timezones / Every trend you’re on the dick of it, I’m really sick of it.
6. “Scout Finch Bitch” And the audience has always got a sprinkle of / Bitches that I wanna pinch and / Wanna punch ’em in their stupid face / But I’m busy rapping super bass.
7. “R.R.E.A.M.” I never say yolo, I never say cheese / I don’t wanna pose cuz I don’t want ’em to see / The anxiety rash I’m hiding under my sleeves / It looks weak, to get all red and / Itchy when I’m barely upset but / It’s bad enough to make ’em call a medic.
8. “Hittin Lixxx” I’m more mischievous than previously thought and I’ll admit it / And the minute that you dare me to, I’m scared but I’m committed.
> Email Ashley Belanger